After days of unrelenting speculation about whether Meghan Markle’s father Thomas will attend his daughter’s wedding on Saturday, Kensington Palace has issued an unprecedented statement on the matter.
Kensington Palace tweeted the words “a statement from Ms. Meghan Markle” along with the following image:
“Sadly, my father will not be attending our wedding,” reads the statement from Ms Markle.
“I have always cared for my father and hope he can be given the space he needs to focus on his health.”
“I would like to thank everyone who has offered generous messages of support. Please know how much Harry and I look forward to sharing out special day with you on Saturday,” she continued.
There been a lot of to-ing and fro-ing over whether Meghan’s dad would be there on the big day.
Earlier this week Thomas Markle told TMZ he wouldn’t be attending the wedding due to a “fallout” over staged photos of himself to paparazzi.
Following that he said he would like to attend the wedding, but then proceeded to inform TMZ that he was unable to attend, as he needed heart surgery.
“Thomas says, he suffered a heart attack 6 days ago but checked himself out of the hospital so he could attend the wedding,” wrote TMZ.
Markle’s statement puts an end to days of media speculation over whether or not her father would be there on the big day.
Her statement makes no mention of the purported “fallout” over photos, and instead focuses on her father’s health. It also makes no mention of who will be walking her down the aisle in her father’s absence.